We’ve all heard of summer affairs. Chances are we might have even daydreamed about or experienced our own sun-soaked romances. Boy meets girls. Girls meets boy. At the beach or in a foreign country. Ice cream melting on suntanned fingers or kissing on the sand. You get the idea. Summer affairs have long been a popular theme of romantic movies and romance novels. The variations are endless. But we also know how summer flings pan out.
Once summer ends, the fluttering feelings fade away along with the tan lines. The bright yellow atmosphere is slowly replaced by shades of red and orange. Although the end of summer takes away with it the warmth of kisses and conversations are punctuated, the beginning of a new season, fall, offers gold-coated promises and countless opportunities.
Still not convinced? Here are ten reasons fall is the most romantic season to start dating.
1) Let science do the talking. While scientists are of the opinion that summer is the most ideal season to meet new people, whether they’re friends or potential lovers, because the warm weather makes everyone just a little bit happier, they also think that romances that begin during fall tend to last longer. Yes, seeing people in their skin-revealing summer attires are definite eye candies, but a parade of bulging muscles under glistening skin is likely a distraction. And just like candies, it isn’t healthy for you in the long run. Without those to distract you, you can focus more on a potential lover’s other characteristics. For example, their personality.
2) While we’re on the topic of skin, let’s also talk about how fall is the ideal season to look beautiful. You can be as fashionable as you want without having to worry about sweating underneath your clothes. And we all know that sweat stains never create a good impression on others, whether it’s the first, second, or third impression. How exactly does this relate to dating? Nice clothes add to how you present your best self. You can still flaunt your curves and keep your man wanting more. Also, unlike in winter, the temperature is just cold enough that you don’t have to wear bulky parkas and coats to make sure you are warm.
3) Let’s talk about first dates. The problem with summer is that first dates can be a tad too casual while first dates during winter are… Don’t count on it. They’re almost impossible, particularly when Mother Nature decides to send snow storms your way. A coffee date is the ideal first date. Since the temperature is neither too high nor too low, it’s hard to say “no” to coffee. Warm chocolate drinks are also a perfect alternative if you want to add a little sweetness to your night.
4) So, your first date with the guy you met at the store on your way home didn’t play out the way you imagined it to. That’s okay. Pumpkin spice and other autumnal flavors make putting in the effort to look beautiful worth it. You may be sad, but the promise of romance won’t die.
5) There is almost no guarantee that a first date will lead to a second date. But don’t lose hope just yet because, unlike many are inclined to think, the chances of meeting a future lover during fall are just as big as they are in the summertime. The tourists might have gone away, but it’s still easy to meet men if you know where to find them. They’re hanging out with friends at bars on weekend nights. You can also find them unleashing their inner beasts at football games. Don’t be afraid of this latter option. Men love women who share an understanding, if not interest, of sports.
6) Apart from crisp golden-red and –orange leaves, fall is popular for Halloween. And we all know what Halloween means. Costumes! One benefit of dating during fall is attending Halloween parties with a date. Why? You and your beau can dress in matching outfits, be it the matriarch and patriarch of the Addams family or a zombie husband and wife. Why else? You finally have someone who will take you home at night to make sure that you’re safe. If that doesn’t scream romantic, then it must be true love.
7) Horror might be the thing that Halloween is most known for, but don’t let that thought scare you. May I remind you of horror films and the endless opportunities to get so very close that they bring. You can go to the movies or you can rent a DVD and cuddle up at home with your paramour. If you get too scared, you know where to run to: his loving arms. It may be the most cliché idea for a date, but it doesn’t make it any less perfect.
8) Fall is the perfect season to get in touch with nature. There’s nothing more romantic than taking long walks at the park, your hands clasped inside your lover’s. If you want more dose of fun, you can roll in piles of fallen autumn leaves or throw them at each other. The best thing about this idea is it allows you the opportunity to show your fun side.
9) The fall season is packed with so many activities that you and your date can choose from. This ensures that your dates are never boring. In Russia alone, fall is packed with the Moscow International Book Fair, the St. Petersburg International Film, the International Jazz Festival, and the December Nights Festival in Moscow. Another idea is to make attending all these events a part of your couple’s bucket list.
10) An unexpected benefit of dating during the fall season is that your relatives will finally stop asking you why you’re still single at family gatherings. You can invite your love interest to family dinners during the holidays and he can take you to meet his family. Another surprising benefit of this is knowing whether your family approves of the man who has become the apple of your eyes.
As poetic philosopher Ami Dewar puts it, “autumn paints in color that summer has never seen.” Don’t be afraid to fall in love. The season is named fall after all.